Sunday, February 8, 2009

New York Adventures 2004 Part 1

I went on a J1 Visa to New York in 2004, it was one of the most enjoyable trips I have taken on my own. I learned an unmeasurable amount about life, work (hard work), people, race, american culture and indeed myself.

I got a job working as a labourer with my uncle in law, the construction sector in New York city is a massive employer in the grand scheme of things, it employs a lot of Irish and Mexicans which you would never know of.

My first day on the job was seriously hot, it was on amsterdam avenue in the basement of Columbia University, the job involved carrying rubble in buckets from the basement to a skip 2 floors up. Lovely sweat inducing work alright.

But the wages were fantastic $20 an hour so I shall not complain. New York City proved to be a very attractive place to me as a young (19) Irish wide eyed lad, I couldnt believe the immensity of so many people in such a small area. My first trip into the city, I was scared due to all the hype about the subway being so dangerous but I had no problems. I was staying in the Bronx in the Irish Area where Katonah avenue and Mclean avenue are. I got a bus to Woodlawn subway station and caught a 4 train to the city. I asked a man on the subway how long the journey took and it turned out the man was from Contae Cabhan and used to know my Great Uncle there. He ran a pirate Trad station in New York for 20 odd years.. very nice man.

I got off at Grand Central Terminal and walked and walked before I knew it, I was in China Town and it was 9Pm. 6 miles or so I walked that day taking in Central park, 5th av with sachs, Loui vuitton and many other spots.

I was thinking I should head back to woodlawn when I realised I had lost my wallet, you don't know the shit hemorrhage I had after realising I had no money to get back to the Bronx. Thankfully I had some dollars in my shorts, see thats what happened, the shorts pockets were crap and it just slipped out.

I was at Mulberry street subway station but it was shut so I walked to the next one in Chinatown and silly me bought a ticket the wrong way, I appealed to the good nature of the ticket seller claiming stupidity and I think it was the mixture of fear and Bambi eyes I gave here she let me through the correct gate to the awaiting 4 to Woodlawn.

When I got back to Woodlawn station, I heard my name been called and turned to see my aunt standing there. A cop had found my wallet and rang the number (my aunts) I had left in my wallet in case this kind of thing happened. She thought I had been mugged as I had no phone to call or text her.

My first day in New York City was a serious adventure, I got my wallet back with the cards then next day.

Do not wear shorts with crappy pockets for holding your wallet. A phew moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment